Fine Art and Photography
In our Art and Photography department, we want students to be skilled, confident thinkers who grasp concepts with authority to build their own voice. Throughout their study here at Newlands, students will develop their resilience to embrace new ideas, artists and processes to broaden their knowledge, see meaningful connections and unleash their creativity. We want students to build artistic awareness, that is fostered through purposeful exploration.
As a department we aim for students to be confident at evaluating and analysing creative works using the language of Art and Photography in our modern culture, whilst raising awareness of career choices and develop a love and passion for the subject. We aim to encourage open minded, creative, critical reflective thinkers who have the courage and confidence to discover and contribute to the world around them.
We intend for students to strive for excellence, take risks in their work, develop an appreciation of Fine Art and Photography and its role in the creative cultural industries that will enrich their lives.
We want students to be able to:
- Retain knowledge about the art elements and principals.
- Use a range of techniques to record their observations in sketchbooks, journals and other media as a basis for exploring their ideas
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills by providing a step-by-step approach to specific issues in class projects
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills by providing a step-by-step approach to specific issues in class projects.
- Increase their proficiency in the handling of different materials
- Analyse and evaluate their own work, and that of others, in order to strengthen the visual impact or application of their work.
- Discuss the difference between 2D and 3D art.
- Students will be able to develop ideas that are relevant to the theme
- Discuss modern/contemporary, craft, design and natural forms
- Ability to explain the elements of Visual Arts (line, shape, form, texture, colour, composition and perspective).
To use building blocks from KS3 and develop skills that enable students to:
- Use drawing skills for different needs and purposes, appropriate to context.
- Record their ideas, observations, and insights
- Apply effective and safe use of media, materials, techniques, processes and technologies
- Develop their ideas through investigations informed by selecting and critically analysing sources
- Apply an understanding of relevant practices in the creative and cultural industries to their work
- Realise personal intentions through sustained application of the creative process
- Document visually and through written annotation, using appropriate specialist vocabulary, as work progresses
KS5 – Art and Photography
To build upon the foundations of KS4, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to present a personal and meaningful response.
- Demonstrates an ability to successfully realise intentions and, where appropriate, makes connections between visual, written and other elements
- Record ideas, observations and insights relevant to intentions. Demonstrates an ability to reflect critically on work and progress.
- Review and refine ideas in a confident manner as work develops.
- Develop ideas through sustained investigations, informed by contextual and other sources.
- Explore and select appropriate resources, media, materials, techniques and processes
- Demonstrates assured use of appropriate specialist vocabulary. Use clear, coherent and accurate use of language.
- Develop ideas through sustained investigations, informed by contextual and other sources. Demonstrating analytical and critical understanding.
“Throughout our artistic journey we have been taught new skills and techniques to enable us to work more independently, to develop our ideas and personal taste”. – KS5 prefects