Business and Economics
Welcome to the Business & Economics Department
Our vision is to develop real world, enterprising, higher education and employability skills for tomorrow's leaders and to prepare our girls for the dynamic and global business environment. We are here to equip our students with essential knowledge about the profit motive, the functions of business, the wider business environment and the UK and World Economies. We learn about businesses from a variety of stakeholder perspectives, allowing our students to make well informed decisions, whether they hope to become an employee, a small business owner, a corporate executive or the Minister of Finance.
Courses offered at Key Stage 5:
Business – A-Level
Economics – A-Level
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Business (a two year double A-Level equivalent).
BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate in Business (a two year A-Level equivalent).
Courses offered at Key Stage 4:
These courses cover all the main elements of business, including:
- Business Organisation
- Marketing (Advertising, distribution, pricing, etc).
- Management (Motivation, leadership, etc)
- Human Resources (Recruitment, training, etc)
- Finance and Accounting
- Production or Service Provision
- External Environment of Business
- In Economics, students will learn about both Microeconomics and Macroeconomics, including:
- Markets and Market Failure
- The National Economy
- Business Economics and the Distribution of Income
- The International Economy
Why should I study Business and/or Economics?
- Business Education involves critical thinking, interpretation of data, and manipulation of concepts and ideas.
- Business deals with specific businesses and how they operate in the external environment, looking at how they overcome problems such as finding finance and staff, and marketing their products profitably.
- Economics looks at the basic problem of the allocation of scarce resources, and how the Business Environment and Government Policy shape the world that we live in.
- Business and/or Economics fit very well with virtually any combination of other subjects.
- The skills of application, analysis and evaluation which are developed in these subjects are highly valued by universities and employers because they show your ability to think critically. Our subjects are useful for careers in banking, finance, management and industry, and also politics and the media.